Thursday, May 2, 2013

1st letter at the MTC

PROVO — Finally had a preparation day after our schedules got shuffled around a lot, so I finally am able to email. 

I'm so glad you guys are doing well. As our previous zone leaders said, just got to make it to Sunday. I can hardly believe that it is Thursday. 

I leave on Monday at 4 am and my companion is going to a different mission, which is pretty annoying actually, because even though we tease and don't get along (as sisters, as most of the girls in my district describe us) we love each other. It is so amazing how much love you can have for people when you met them literally a week ago.

I saw Steele Crandall today. He seemed somehow...subdued if that was possible. I warned him about the food but he said it was greatboys. Seriously, if the sleep deprivation doesn't kill you, the food will. Nah, it's amazing how much prayer can do for you. I'm sure Heavenly Father is tired of these desperate "Please just don't let me fall asleep" prayers. But I definitely knows He answers.

In our district, we have 3 sister companionships and 2 elder companionships.  Sister Sowards is my companion from Provo, then Sister Cloward and Sister Shipley (sis Cloward is from Mesa, went to Mt. View. She is awesome, so I forgive her). Then Sister Moore and Sister Winkler. The Elders are Elders Almond (district leader) and Demke, then Elders Gibson and Taylor. 

EVERYONE is from Utah here, like a good 50%. Plus the weather is wacko. I'm freezing up here!! Never can have too many layers thank goodness I planned for that. Pittsburgh might just freeze me though....

So Sunday was a pretty awesome experience. For Relief Society, we had Sister Oscarson come and speak to us, you know the new General Young Women's president. She talked about Jacob 5, which is normally a huge turn off, but she pointed out near the end of the chapter (which I encourage you to look up which verse exactly) but it is when the Lord of the Vineyard is calling extra servants to try and save His vineyard one last time. The cool part is it says something to the effect of "they labored with all their might and the Lord did labor with them."

There are so many times where I have felt Jesus Christ help me along here. It's only been a week and I have learned so much (plus the reassuring factor of Elder Holland is kind of the most legit when talking about the Atonement and the Savior.) I encourage you to study that because President Faust says that, "The Atonement is the most important part of the gospel, and the least understood." This place is just fantastic, minus some stuff but we all have something to improve on. (;

I joined the MTC choir, which is phenomenal. We sang "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer" for the devotional on Tuesday. 

We heard from President Packer for the devotional!!

Allan F. Packer that is....his son (SO CLOSE!!! haha!). His talk was on family history, which he is over, then our Branch President got into some deep stuff. We also watched a devotional from Elder Bednar, but seriously, watch it. Read it. It was so deep and profound and simple. It's called the Character of Christ. I am very excited to study about and come closer to my Savior.

 
I really appreciate the packages and letters! It's pretty much the best part of my day. Plus, mail gets checked twice a day, so that's even better! I don't feel overwhelmed, I feel excited to hear from friends and family. Sister Shipley even got some letters from her little sisters stuffed animals, so if any of the inanimate objects around the house feel like writing me a letter, I wont object.

I just want to say that I love you and miss you. However, God knows my weakness for my family and has blessed me with the courage to continue on. When I study and do things completely focused on the Savior and lessons I'm teaching, I almost forget how much I want to be home. It is such a tender mercy and I am so glad I am able to be a servant of the Lord at this time. Keep choosing the Right, and God will bless you ever more.

Love,

Sister Crockett (!)

P.S. I read this scripture this week and man, what power: connect to 3 Nephi 17:17 (thinking of the Atonement) D&C 45:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment