Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A New Year Approaches

Well! Another week has come and gone! But lemme start with a joke from Bishop Weeks. We had a throw-down lesson yesterday in 3rd hour. He basically said that if Pittsburgh ever wanted a temple they better step up home teaching/visiting teaching and temple attendance. A brother raised his hand and said that people should set a date as to when to get to the temple next, whether it be NEXT week, NEXT month or NEXT year. Bishop stared at him and said "Well, that doesn't matter because all 3 of those things are the same. They are all next week." hahaha! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

So this is our week (:

Tuesday was Christmas Eve and frigid! And we spent the day trying to see some people. We saw Alice and shared a Christmas message. She might be able to come to church after the new year because she has to get permission from her doctor; her leg has been injured for a while. Next we went to Char's and had a lovely visit. We talked about the Priesthood and the organization of the church (which is AWESOME by the way). I know I know blonde moment, but I had NO idea that the Stake Presidency/High Council was modeled after the 1st Presidency/Quorum of the 12! How awesome! I love how organized the Lord's church truly is! Then we went to Susan's house. She has breast cancer and hasn't been able to come to church for a while but she really loved us stopping by and sharing a Christmas message. Finally it was time for our dinner appointment. We went to the Bishop's house and it was SO much fun. We just hung out for a while and they were so sweet! They got us some gifts (i.e. a terrible towel and Pittsburgh ornament). I am so astounded by how sweet this ward has been to us this Christmas. We finally left after reading the Christmas story.

Wednesday was SO much fun!! It was a crazy Christmas for us! I can't say that it truly felt like Christmas, but it was definitely a special day! We got up and opened presents (: That was really fun! Then we went to the McBride's for brunch. They got us these stockings with silly little things in them it was cute haha! But we were super anxious to get to the Green's. We left about one and started to skype home. Oh how sweet!!! I loved talking to you guys! I wanted to be with you so badly, yet I feel so drawn to be a missionary! It's a catch-22 and I know this will all be over too quickly. I only cried for 5 minutes after hanging up and then went on my merry little way. We stopped at the Burson's because she asked us too. We ate a quick dinner then headed back to the McBride's. We just talked and hung out for the remainder of our holiday. It was fun!

Thursday was back to work day! But I got sick-ish. At 7:30 am, Sister Larsen got in the shower and I was freezing so I hid under my new warm blanket and slept for 3 HOURS!!! It turned into a tender mercy because apparently we had District Meeting and no one told us d: So we high-tailed out to Cranberry and had District Meeting. Then Sister K Neeley took us to Midland to visit Rasheda. We had an awesome lesson with her just talking about covenants and things like that.By the time we got home it was time for dinner at the Wright's house. It was cool but we COULD NOT leave. It took forever and our day was over by the time we got home.

Friday was weekly planning and it didn't take us a year and a half to complete haha! We got to meet with Rasheda and talked about the things she should expect before and after her baptism. We dropped off her baptismal programs at Staples and then headed home. We ate dinner then went to Wendy's house. She is so sweet. We tried to have a good spiritual discussion but her husband wouldn't turn off the tv. And they have a huge tv. I hate how sucked in I got; I realize how pointless tv is now and how filthy as well. I didn't think I would get to this point but it is very real right now.

Saturday we had a pretty average day. Not much happened.

Except, you know, another child of God entering in "at the strait and narrow gate"!!

We went to Elsa's in the morning and talked with her and returned her book "Faith proceeds the Miracle" by Spencer W. Kimball. We tried to contact some referrals but then it was time to head to the church. We grabbed a quick lunch then headed over! We cleaned the font and began filling the font. It felt SO surreal! I watched the water fill up and read "The Infinite Atonement" *mind blown*. That book is AMAZING. I never realized how little I comprehended of the most important event in the history of the universe.
The time finally came. At 6 pm, there weren't a lot of people there, but you know how Mormon standard time works. We took pictures with Rasheda and when we came back there were a ton of people in the Relief Society room!! We were ecstatic! Then the time came and Rasheda was baptized! Rasheda got up and bore her testimony and I nearly cried I was so happy! I can only imagine how happy Heavenly Father is when we are obedient to His commandments and make correct choices. I truly felt the incomprehensible joy associated with missionary work! D&C 18:15!!

Sunday was weird and super stressful but cool at the same time. Rasheda literally walked in as it was being announced that she was being confirmed. Other than that it was smooth haha! Denise, Rasheda's mom, said that some day she'll join the church...maybe in February?? (; We visited Sister Smego and then went to our dinner appointment at the Schmucks. They had the Tame's and the DeBaker's over for dinner too so we talked to Shyanne and her friend Nicole the whole time because they are our age haha! After dinner, we felt like we should contact this referral we recieved. It turned out that Sara, the woman who requested the missionaries,is actually a member and her husband is interested in the gospel so we were able to pick him up as a new investigator last night! All because of a prompting from Heavenly Father! Goodness! He is too good to us!!!

So that was our week this week! Craziness, but I realize how sweet those tender mercies of the Lord actually are! Don't forget to write them down because they are answers to the silent prayers of the heart! I am so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost and the things He teaches me from my Father in Heaven!
I hope you have a safe and fun New Year!! Here is to 2014!! See you next year! (;

Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Crockett

No comments:

Post a Comment